Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Wet Season is Here

From around April 15 to Nov 15 is the rainy season here in Costa Rica.

See, Costa Rica's weather is kind of on the backwards side than that of the US. When it is our "summer" it is Costa Rica's "winter" and the US Winter is Costa Rica's Summer.

But here in Costa Rica they really do not call it winter and summer, it is wet season and dry season.

So we are now officially in the wet season and everyday around 2:00 PM the clouds roll in and it starts to rain. And when it rains, boy does it rain. I thought that Texas thunderstorms were bad, but not like here, especially when the thunder and lightning kicks in.

 The rain coming down as we are standing in our
car port area. Got your ark ready?


When it rains it dumps here

 Now when it starts raining, it gets pretty loud on our metal roof. Our little yourkie Onni, does not like the rain storms at all. The noise on the roof bothers her, but it is the thunder that really freaks here out.

She gets all shakey and starts panting as she stresses out. 

I was reading about something called the "Thunder Jacket" and how it works. It calms the dog down because they are being held really tight by the jacket. 

I have noticed that when it starts to rain, I hold Onni tight and she calms down. 

Now that I know that, I have come up with a thunder jacket of my own... "The Onni Roll"

I have a thin blanket that I roll Onni up like you would a new born baby. She loves it and instantly calms down once she is in it all snug as a bug. 

Onni in her "Onni Roll"

We love hearing the rain on the roof. It is a peaceful sound. We are also glad that it just lasts a few hours a day too. Otherwise we would have to build an ark of our own. 



3 comments:

  1. Okay, I was going to recommend the "thunder shirt", but I see you made your own(a lot cheaper). See to me, the rain on a metal roof would NOT be calming, like it is for you. And that is only one reason why I didn't particularly fancy a tropical climate. The other reasons were bugs, and high humidity. It is beautiful and I realize the rain keeps it lush for the vegetation. Guess that might be like living in Hawaii, only much cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds nice down there. After you spoke at our church in Orange TX I really started looking at Costa Rica again. Found out some firearms are legal so that makes it a definite possibility of a future home. Plan on making a scouting trip in the next year or so. Thanks for what you guys do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor pup! I totally understand the lightening thunder fear and rain, although I live in southern NM and we have very little rain.

    I am enjoying seeing Costa Rica through your eyes and appreciate my visits here.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete